바로가기 메뉴
메인메뉴 바로가기
본문 컨텐츠 바로가기

미래를 여는 기술, SK이노베이션 글로벌테크놀로지에서 시작합니다.


PR Room

바로가기 배너


Home > PR Room > News

GT NEWS | Center of Technology infomation for brighter future.

SK Energy to Supply Electric Car Batteries to Daimler Contents
title SK Energy to Supply Electric Car Batteries to Daimler
attachment date 2009-10-26 count 12419
- Selected as the lithium-ion batteries supplier for hybrid electric vehicles (HEV) manufactured by Mitsubishi Fuso Truck, an affiliate of Daimler Group.
- Wins recognition for its quality and technological excellence among leading global automakers
- Recognized for key components and manufacturing technologies including lithium-ion battery separator (LiBS)


“SK Energy is jumping into global competition for batteries used for electric vehicles”

SK Energy announced that it was selected by Germany-based Daimler Group on the 24th to supply lithium-ion batteries for Mitsubishi Fuso’s hybrid electric vehicles, one of the projects of Daimler’s Global Hybrid Center.
“We cannot release any details of the project since the both parties decided to maintain confidentiality of the project which will go under development process for about two years,” said an official at SK Energy.
This deal would enable SK Energy to participate in various hybrid and electric vehicles projects of Daimler as a preferred supplier. The energy company will also be better positioned to expand into the global car battery market, reinforcing partnerships with leading global automobile manufacturers.
Established in 1932, Mitsubishi Fuso Truck and Bus Corporation (MFTBC) is one of Asia's leading commercial vehicle manufacturers. In 2007, the company sold a total of about 190,000 trucks and buses. Daimler AG owns 85% of MFTBC shares. The remaining 15% of shares are held by various Mitsubishi group companies.
SK Energy was named a preferred supplier after fierce competition with other Korean and Japanese battery manufacturers, and Daimler’s decision underscores SK Energy’s technological excellence in rechargeable batteries, both materials and end-products.

The South Korea-based energy company was especially recognized for its capability to produce lithium-ion battery separator (LiBS), which was world’s third in commercialization, thin coating technology with over 30 years of accumulated knowledge, and other manufacturing technologies for battery pack/module and Li-ion batteries.
SK Energy is the only company in the world that possesses core technologies used to produce components used for lithium-ion batteries, lithium-ion battery separators and battery packs & modules while being capable of manufacturing lithium-ion batteries.
“This is an important milestone that Daimler decided to select SK Energy as the batteries supplier,” said an official at SK Energy. “It recognizes SK Energy’s world-class technology and quality in rechargeable batteries for automotive applications. It also signals green light for SK Energy to move forward for further partnerships with other world’s leading automotive companies.”

On top of the rechargeable batteries for automotive applications, SK Energy is actively participating in smart grid, energy storage system (ESS), and other domestic and overseas rechargeable battery projects, delivering brighter outlook for its portfolio of rechargeable battery businesses.

In order to lead business in “green growth” and to expand its presence into new domains of energy business to become an “integrated energy company,” SK Energy also takes steps in developing clean coal energy, bio-fuel, hydrogen energy, green polymer technology, which produces polymer products from carbon dioxide, and diesel particulate filters (DPFs) as well as rechargeable batteries for electric vehicles.

prev SK’s Diesel Particulate Filter Wins Global Recognition, Certified in U.S 2009-06-01
next World’s Largest Oil Company Saudi Aramco CEO Visits SKEIT 2009-11-30

list